These shortbreads freeze well and are great with a cup of coffee or Earl Grey Tea.
They are little bit higher in saturated fat but well worth the indulgence. The rich dark chocolate glaze is only lightly sweetened and uses almond cashew cream as a substitute for heavy cream, making it less sinful-but no less decadent!
This recipe is from The Diabetes-Friendly Kitchen, 125 recipes for Creating Healthy Meals, by The Culinary Institute of America.
Chocolate Cappuccino Shortbread (Makes 30 Cookies)
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dark Chocolate glaze (recipe follows)
Dark Chocolate Glaze (Makes 10 Tablespoons)
- 3 ounces dark, bittersweet chocolate (60% cocoa)
- 1/4 cup almond-cashew cream
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
Almond Cashew Cream
- 1 cup almonds or cashews (or a combination of both)
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 by 13-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until soft and smooth. Stir together the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, and cornstarch.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter and mix on low speed until the ingredients are incorporated and start to form a dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead to smooth the dough, about 5 times.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the prepared pan. Transfer to the pan and press evenly. Prick the shortbread with the tines of a fork to prevent shrinkage.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake until very lightly browned, 15 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the sugar. Allow to cook in the pan for 10 minutes, then cut into 30 bars. Cool completely in the pan.
- Drizzle the glaze over the tops (recipe follows).
Dark Chocolate Glaze
- Combine the ingredients in a double boiler and stir until melted and well mixed.
Almond Cashew Cream
- Blend in a food processor or blender.